Join Us and Make a Difference Every Day
Pine Tree Legal Assistance employs a diverse team of individuals, each committed to making our communities more just.
Pine Tree Legal Assistance is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all backgrounds.
- Development/Administrative Assistant - Portland
- Hardy Wolf & Downing PA - PTLA Collaboration - Staff Attorney - Lewiston
- Justice for Families DV Litigator - Augusta
Pine Tree Legal Assistance seeks a creative and enthusiastic individual to join Pine Tree’s two-person development team as a Development/Administrative Assistant.
Pine Tree Legal Assistance is Maine’s oldest and largest civil legal aid provider. We believe that there should be fairness, justice and equality for all, and, that if we can instill more fairness in our society, there will be less poverty. Our mission is to ensure that state and federal laws affecting poor people are upheld, while also addressing the systemic barriers to justice faced by Mainers with low incomes. To achieve our mission, we provide free civil legal assistance in cases where it can make a difference in one’s ability to meet one’s basic human needs or in enforcing one’s basic human rights.
The Development Assistant manages reporting and communications to a large number of funders. As such, the Development Assistant has the opportunity to be on the forefront of innovative projects throughout the state. The Development Assistant will work with staff in all six of Pine Tree’s offices to ensure progress and compliance with 24+ federal, state, and philanthropic grants. The Development Assistant will also work with the organization to implement its fundraising plan and will provide administrative support to staff in Pine Tree’s administrative office. The Development Assistant is based in Pine Tree’s Portland Office and is supervised by the Development Director.
The ideal candidate will be creative and hardworking, enjoy writing and collaborating with others, and motivated by the organization’s mission.
- Monitoring progress and deadlines for 24+ federal, state, and philanthropic grants (includes meeting with staff and reviewing data);
- Preparing grant reports;
- Maintaining comprehensive files for all grants;
- Communicating with program staff around grant objectives;
- Working with the Fiscal Manager to ensure appropriate spending on grants;
- Supporting staff in other philanthropic fundraising activities, such as special events, annual fund campaigns, special campaigns, researching new grant opportunities and other activities as appropriate;
- Assisting staff to manage data in fundraising software;
- Manages time and priorities in an effective manner; and
- Provide administrative support to Pine Tree’s Central Administrative office, including answering phones, opening mail, providing staff support to the Board of Directors, assisting with general building management tasks, and other tasks, as requested.
- Applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Positive approach;
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written);
- Organized, able to prioritize work, able to multi-task and handle multiple responsibilities;
- Ability to track & manage multiple grants
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, and Publisher);
- Exemplary interpersonal skills;
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; related education and experience may be considered in lieu of degree; and
- Desire to contribute to and maintain Pine Tree’s high standards for excellence.
Compensation & Benefits:
The starting salary for this position is $35,750/year and includes a health and dental insurance plan and generous leave benefits.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Helen Meyer, Development Director via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are encouraged by February 15 but will be considered on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
Hardy Wolf & Downing PA is pleased to offer a unique opportunity for a licensed attorney (or law school graduates taking the July 2018 bar) who wishes to contribute meaningfully to pro bono legal efforts. No experience necessary. The newly created position is in cooperation with Pine Tree Legal Assistance and is expected to be for a term of one year with the possibility of extending beyond the initial term. Approximately 50% of the time the attorney will work for Pine Tree Legal in Lewiston. The other 50% of the time will be at Wolf & Downing litigating cases in Superior Court.
The attorney will be an employee of Wolf & Downing and the firm will pay a competitive salary and full benefits.
The position offers a qualified applicant a unique opportunity to litigate multiple cases in both District and Superior Courts and be exposed to a wide variety of cases. A strong desire to litigate cases is an absolute necessity.
Interested applicants should apply to:Wolf & Downing PA, Attention: Christian Lewis PO Box 3065 Lewiston, ME 04243.
Applications may also be emailed to email@example.com.
The Augusta office of Pine Tree Legal Assistance has an immediate opening for a full-time litigator to handle family law litigation and other civil legal needs of survivors of domestic violence, trafficking, and non-offending caregivers of child sexual assault victims in Kennebec and Somerset Counties. The position is funded by a federal grant that currently runs through September 2019. The attorney will appear in court on a weekly (and sometimes more frequent) basis in one or more of the three District Courts located in the service area, primarily on protection from abuse and family law cases. To meet the holistic needs of individual clients, litigation in other areas of law may be required (including housing, benefits, income or education issues.) Attorneys should bill a minimum of 65% of total work time to individual cases.
The position is funded by a federal grant supporting Justice for Families, and it also contemplates a close working relationship with the local domestic violence and sexual assault agencies, as well as the district attorney’s office, and other stakeholders, which may include child advocacy centers, coordinated community response teams, multi-disciplinary teams, and others. The JFF litigator is responsible for scheduling regular meetings with the other agencies, and participating in JFF technical assistance and other conference calls, as well as working closely with Pine Tree’s Administrative office on grant reporting. Regular meetings with those partners, case consultations and occasional trainings are also part of the attorney’s responsibility. Decisions about how to prioritize between these time commitments are made in consultation with the attorney supervisor.
The attorney works within a statewide Family Law Unit that includes 11 other attorneys and 3 paralegals and is supervised by experienced family law attorney Lucia Hunt. The Augusta office includes an attorney and paralegal in the Family Law Unit, as well as nine other colleagues working on other grant funded projects and general legal services. All staff are expected to act in accordance with the program’s core values.
A detailed job description is available upon request. Previous litigation experience is required for this position; prior work with survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault is highly desirable.
The entry level salary for a staff attorney at PTLA is $49,750+, depending on experience, with a generous benefits package. Applicants should provide a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three references to Executive Director Nan Heald, Pine Tree Legal Assistance, PO Box 547, Portland ME 04112 or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are encouraged by February 23 but will be accepted until the position is filled. Pine Tree Legal Assistance is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates of all backgrounds.