Back to top

Workers' Compensation

three farmworkersAll farm workers are eligible for Workers' Compensation, if you are injured at work or become sick due to a work condition, you have the right to medical treatment, at no cost to you. The insurance company pays for your medical bills and perhaps for some of your lost wages. It is illegal for your boss to try to stop you from obtaining Workers' Compensation benefits.

If you're injured while working, get medical care - don't wait! Tell the doctor you were injured at work. The doctor should bill the insurance company.  Follow the doctor’s orders.   Return for follow up medical appointments and physical therapy.

Tell the boss right away! In order to get benefits, you must tell the boss that you were injured.

Keep records! Keep a record of medical visits, the doctor’s name and address, and any costs (such as transportation, prescriptions, receipts, etc.).

If you are still injured when you go home, you may continue to receive medical care and lost wages. It is best, but not necessary, to start your workers compensation claim before you leave. Ask your doctor for a copy of your medical records and take them home with you. Find a doctor at home to provide care. Send copies of your medical reports to the insurance company.

If you have questions about Workers' Compensation, ask for help! If you need help seeing a doctor, getting your bills paid or receiving wage benefits, call the legal services office in the state you are seeking benefits.

Content Type for Facets: